All roof and house timbers securely dated to 1601 by Dendrochronology. Probably the only surviving original and complete bastle roof structure. The roof structure contains a number of Apotropaic Marks. These are commonly known as Evil-Averting, or Witch Marks.
Hodskinson and Donald 1770 to 1774 map, showing Scarrow Hill south of the Military Road
Levelled between January 1844 and February 1845, at 480 feet 11 inches above sea level. The bench mark is above the railway, near the top of the hill, south of the A69.
1850 Naworth Township Tithe Map, showing Scarrow Hill now divided into two
1864 ORDNANCE SURVEY INDEX TO PLACES IN THE PARISH OF BRAMPTON STATES AS FOLLOWS:-
"List of Names as written on the Plan - Scarrow Hill"
"Authority for those modes of Spelling - Mr. John Ramshay, Naworth and John Cairns, Brampton and Ambrose Boustead, Denton Mill"
"Description - Two cottages occupied by Thomas Craighton and others, the property of the Earl of Carlisle"
Scarrow Hill ("The Place"), refers to our house only. In 1981 Scarrow Hill was sold by the Earl of Carlisle and the two cottages were converted back into one house.
Picture taken in 1968, looking west towards Scarrow Hill - a modern day A69 road embankment is now built where the picture was taken
Picture taken in 1968, looking east on A69 from Scarrow Hill - Bank Houses shown have since been demolished