Scarrow Hill is mentioned in “The Barony of Gilsland” Lord William Howards Survey taken in 1603 as Skareckhilles.
“Gregory Hall a tenemt and close called Skareckhilles : more toward the southeaste : by Denton becke in parte on the east and the com pasture on all other partes. The Lord hath a parke called Naward Parke more towards the north.” Skareckhilles is described as being within the parish of Brampton.
The Naworth Estate and Household Accounts 1648 to 1660 by C Roy Hudleston, Surtees Society refer to Thoms Hall at Scarrhill. Tom Hall is referred to as a smith and is paid for shoeing carthorses and work to carts.
On 10th December 1675 William Hall blacksmith, grant of messuage at Skarehill or Skarohill to Henry Farlam younger, of stonehouse yeoman. Naworth documents C13/1.
The Place-Names of Cumberland, part one by A. M. Armstrong, A. Mawer, F. M. Stenton and Bruce Dickens (Cambridge University Press, 1950) gives various spellings for Scarrow Hill in Brampton on page 68. These are Scareckhilles, 1603; Scarrowhill, 1626; Skarehill, 1675; Skarhill, 1699; Scarrow Hill, 1784). The meaning is likely to be "Projection of land marked by a shieling". A shieling was generally a place or simple hut where graziers would be temporarily housed when herding animals on high ground in the summer - part of the system of transhumance.
Scarrow Hill (two words - our house) should not be confused with the hamlet of Scarrowhill at Cumwhitton. There is a separate entry in the Place-Names of Cumberland for the Scarrowhill at Cumwhitton.
Both Scarrow Hill (2 words) and Scarrowhill (1 word) are old sites approximately 12 miles apart, both mentioned separately in the 1603 Gilsland Survey.