Scarrow Hill is the name of our house, as stated in our deeds. Scarrow Hill is located 25 ft above the railway, south of the A69, approximately 2 miles south of Hadrian's Wall. Hadrian's Wall can be seen from our bedroom windows. It is indeed very likely that Scarrow Hill was built from stone robbed from Hadrian's Wall, at a time when this practice was deemed acceptable!
Scarrow Hill is a Listed Building. Please click here
Scarrow Hill is NOT a guest house. Click Here for Details!!Origins of Scarrow Hill
Scarrow Hill was originally built in 1601. It was built in the bastle tradition as a multi-purpose building, with a blacksmith's forge on the ground floor and living accommodation above. Scarrow Hill became a Coaching Inn, or Alehouse, in the 18th Century. By 1841 Scarrow Hill had been converted to two dwellings and finally back to one dwelling in 1981.References
Published on p.137 of Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archeological Society. Third Series Volume X 2010. "Scarrow Hill in the Seventeenth Century. A Reconsideration of Vernacular Architecture c.1600 near Naworth, Cumbria".
To contact us, details can be found below.